Dalia khichadi is an easy, tasty and more importantly healthy dish made with broken wheat(dalia), moong dal and lots of vegetables.
Dalia is loaded with a range of health benefits. It has been a part of the Indian cuisine since ages. Made with broken wheat, Dalia is easy to digest and is full of nutrition. It is high in fibre and is believed to be one of the best foods for weight loss. Dalia can be made in several ways and is one of the healthiest options for breakfast/dinner.It is a complex carbohydrate, rich in protein, fibre, magnesium. It relieves constipation, good for diabetic patients, children, elderly, lactating mothers etc.
This is one of my favourite recipe since it includes all the 5 food groups making it extremely healthy. It is also a quick meal for the days when we don’t have enough time to cook.
1 cup dalia (broken wheat or cracked wheat)
1/4 cup yellow moong dal
1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
1 inch ginger, finely chopped
1 medium sized tomato, finely chopped
½ cup chopped carrots
½ cup chopped french beans
½ cup green peas/ spinach
3 cups water
1 teaspoon cumin
1 tablespoon ghee
salt, turmeric powder, chili powder, dhaniya powder as required
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker.
- Add jeera, chopped onion and saute till they become translucent on medium flame.
- Add chopped tomato, ginger and saute for 1 minute.
- Now add all the vegetables and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add all the dry masalas and salt to taste.
- Rinse and soak the dalia and moong dal for 15-20 mins and add to the veggies. Stir for 3 to 4 minutes on a low flame.
- Add 3 cups water and pressure cook on medium flame for 2 whistles and slow flame 2 whistles.
- Garnish vegetable dalia with coriander leaves and serve hot with curds or lemon pickle