Makhanas, also called fox nuts or lotus seeds. They have been used in Chinese medicine since 3000 years and find an important place in the science of Ayurveda too.
Benefits of Makhanas (Fox Nuts):
1) They are low in cholesterol, fat, and sodium. This makes them an ideal snack to satiate those in-between meal hunger pangs.
2) They are beneficial to those suffering from high blood pressure, heart diseases and obesity due to their high magnesium and low sodium content.
3) Makhanas are recommended for diabetics too due to their low glycemic index.
4) An anti-aging enzyme in these seeds is said to help repair damaged proteins.
5) In addition, the presence of a natural flavonoid called kaempferol (also present in coffee), helps prevent inflammation and aging.
6) Ayurvedic beliefs suggest that fox nuts astringent properties that benefit the kidneys.
7) Makhanas are gluten-free, protein rich
8) They are low in calories, making them an ideal snack for weight loss.