Quinoa is a nutrient dense plant protein with all the amino acids. It is high in fibre, iron, manganese, phosphorus, Zinc. Also known as “Super food“
Quinoa upma is a hearty, healthy vegan dish that’s delicious to enjoy for breakfast or lunch or dinner. It features fluffy quinoa, veggies, and vibrant seasonings all cooked together in one pot.
½ cup quinoa
1 tablespoon oil
⅓ cup finely chopped onions or 1 small to medium-sized
½ teaspoon finely chopped ginger or ½ inch ginger
1 teaspoon chopped green chilies or 1 to 2 green chilies – chopped
1 dry red chili – stem and seeds removed, optional
7 to 8 curry leaves
½ teaspoon mustard seeds
½ teaspoon cumin seeds
⅓ cup finely chopped carrots or 1 small carrot
¼ cup finely chopped french beans 5 to 6 french beans
⅓ cup green peas
1 cup water
Salt as required
2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves
How to Make Quinoa Upma:
- Rinse Quinoa:
Rinsing quinoa seeds removes the bitterness from them. This bitterness comes from the naturally occurring saponin present in the outer coating of the seeds. First, add ½ cup quinoa in a fine mesh strainer and rinse very well in running water and soak in water for 15-20 mins
- Heat 1 tablespoons oil in a pan. Keep the heat to low or medium-low. When the oil is hot, add ½ teaspoon mustard seeds and cumin seeds
- Then add ½ tsp finely chopped ginger, 1 teaspoon chopped green chilies, 1 dry red chili (halved or broken with seeds removed) – you can omit adding dry red chilli
- Next add ⅓ cup finely chopped onions and 7 to 8 curry leaves.
- Then add ¼ cup finely chopped carrots, ¼ cup finely chopped french beans and ⅓ cup peas, or your choice of veggies.
- Make sure that you chop everything finely and evenly so the veggies get cooked thoroughly while the quinoa cooks.
- Drain the water and add the quinoa to the pan. Mix all the ingredients very well
- Then add water. For ½ cup of quinoa, add 1 cup of water or a bit more if needed. Add salt to taste
- Cover the pan with a tight-fitting lid and simmer on low heat until the quinoa seeds are cooked.
- It will take about 20 to 22 minutes for the quinoa to cook and fluff up. If there is any water or liquids in the pan, then continue to cook without lid until all the water dries up. Garnish with corrainder leaves and serve