Oats khichadi is an easy, tasty and more importantly healthy dish made with Oats, moong dal and lots of vegetables. Oats are gluten free, an incredibly nutritious food packed with important vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. In addition, they are high in fiber and protein compared to other grains.* Oats contain some unique components — in particular, the soluble fiber beta-glucan and antioxidants called avenanthramides. It helps reduce cholesterol and blood sugar levels.
This is one of my favourite recipe since it includes all the 5 food groups making it extremely healthy. It is also a quick meal for the days when we don’t have enough time to cook.
1 cup Oats (Steel cut oats/Quaker oats)
1/2 cup yellow moong dal
1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
1 inch ginger, finely chopped
1 medium sized tomato, finely chopped
½ cup chopped carrots
½ cup chopped French beans
½ cup green peas/ spinach
2 cups water
1 teaspoon cumin
1 tablespoon ghee
salt, turmeric powder, chili powder, dhaniya powder as required
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker.
- Add jeera, chopped onion and saute till they become translucent on medium flame.
- Add chopped tomato, ginger and saute for 1 minute.
- Now add all the vegetables and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add all the dry masalas and salt to taste.
- Add roasted oats and soaked moong dal to the veggies. Stir for 3 to 4 minutes on a low flame.
- Add 2 cups water and pressure cook on medium flame for 2 whistles and slow flame 2 whistles.
- Garnish khichadi with coriander leaves and serve hot with curds or lemon pickle